Wednesday, June 29, 2011

Island Yumminess!

I'm Back, I'm Back! I really am back! Okay, so I took a bit of a sabbatical, but I'm back with a vengence! For today at least. What I have for you here is just some plain yumminess on a stick! I found this recipe when I was planning a get-together with kabobs. I will definitely be repeating this recipe over and over! Oh, and if you are wondering where all my pictures went from my other posts??? Long story, I'll get them back up soon enough! For now, enjoy this next recipe!


Shrimp, Pepper, and Mango Kabobs

2 1/2 tbsp ginger, minced

2-3 cloves garlic, minced

1/3 cup rice wine vinegar

1/2 cup lime juice

2 1/2 tbsp brown sugar

1/3 cup oil

1 tsp sesame oil

2 tbsp chopped cilantro

2-3 lbs shrimp, peeled and deveined

sweet onion, bell pepper, and mango-kabob ready


Whisk together ingredients for marinade, add shrimp, and refrigerate for about an hour. Remove shrimp from marinade and if desired, boil the remaining marinade for basting or dipping. Thread shrimp, onion, bell pepper, and mango onto wooden skewers. Grill 4-6 minutes, until shrimp turn pink.


Pineapple Mango Salsa

1 mango, diced

1 can crushed pineapple, including juice

1 red bell pepper, diced

zest and juice of 1 lime

1-2 tbsp chopped pineapple mint (can use regular mint or cilantro if preferred)


Combine all ingredients and use over citrus rice, chicken, or seafood


Citrus Rice

(I've posted this recipe before, but here it is again with a few modifications)

Jasmine Rice

chicken broth

1-2 garlic cloves, minced

3-4 tbsp minced onion

olive oil

chopped pineapple sage (again, use cilantro or regular mint if preferred)

zest and juice of 1 lime


Saute onion in oil until soft and transparent; continue cooking rice according to package directions, adding chicken broth to the sauteed onion mixture in place of water. When rice is done cooking, add pineapple sage and lime zest and juice, stir, and re-cover.


Enjoy each of these dishes separately, or do what I did and mix them all together! No matter how you eat them, I promise, they will make you feel as though you are on a tropical island vacation!

No comments: